Friday, March 23, 2012

Finding Inspiration

I once read that a student's study space should be inspirational. There should be a "good feeling" about it - one that bolsters confidence. The book suggested surrounding the desk with inspirational quotes, pictures of favorite things and people, as well as awards and other reminders of past success.

At the time, I was teaching.














The desk in my study (where I could close the door and not hear the TV) was my haven where I spent evenings preparing lessons and grading papers. It definitely needed to become a "feel good" place... After a full day's work, who wants to spend evenings at a desk?


















My metal filing cabinet became my magnetic "bulletin board" for pictures and inspirational quotes.


















Here is a paper I've had up for so many years that the writing is faded. One of the quotes on it was by Emerson: Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain.

I don't remember what fear led me to that quote! But I read it time and time again. Another helped me step back and gain perspective on my busy life:

Go forth into the world in peace.
Be of good courage.
Render no man evil for evil.
Strengthen the faint-hearted.
Support the weak.
Help the afflicted.
Honor all men.
Love and serve the Lord your God,
Rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit.

When you're busy, perspective is what you really need!

No comments:

Post a Comment